When you go ‘primal’, sadly pasta is no longer an easy go to item in the pantry for a quick dinner. But what to eat your spaghetti bolognaise sauce with? My kids absolutely love meat and I often whip this meal up for them. Occasionally hubby and I will also join them by subbing pasta for zucchini noodles which we make with our mandolin slicer. However, yesterday I made a meal that is EVEN better than Spag Bol with Zucchini Noodles – hello Paleo Eggplant Boats!
. 1 large eggplant
. 1/2 quantity of homemade bolognaise sauce
. Olive oil
. Parmesan cheese to top ( omit for full paleo version)
1. Prick eggplant all over with a fork
2. Place on baking paper lined tray and rub over a small amount of oil to coat
3. Bake at 200 C for 40 min
4. Remove with tongs and slice down the middle
5. Scoop out enough flesh to leave a 1 cm shell
6. Chop up eggplant flesh and add to bolognaise sauce
7. Stuff eggplants with sauce mixture and grate over a little Parmesan cheese, if desired
8. Return to oven for 20 min or until cooked
I haven’t included a recipe for my meat sauce as its a no brainer really and different every time! This time I added a stack of mushrooms which gave a delicious earthy flavour to the meal.
There were absolutely no leftovers at the end of this dinner but I must say I ate way too much. They were delicious!
The inspiration for this meal came from Taste website when I was surfing the net looking for a recipe before the eggplant got too old in the fridge! We will def be making this one again.